It’s no secret that I adore Lauren Conrad. In fact, I wrote all about my love for her a month or two ago on this very blog. I entered (and won!) a contest on her site. And when my friend referred to LC as my “spirit animal” just the other day, I basically squealed.
So it comes as no surprise that I was psyched to find out that Lauren was premiering her newest Kohl’s collection on the runway at New York Fashion Week. However, I’ll admit to being a bit underwhelmed by the LC/Kohl’s collabs in the past, so I didn’t get my hopes up too high.
Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.
I am in love with the LC Runway Collection. It is ethereal, soft, feminine, and reminiscent of a woodland fairytale. The color palette is full of toned down neutrals and pastels. This is definitely outside of my comfort zone, as I tend to go for bold, bright colors, (duh) but it works so well here. The photos of Lauren herself in the collection actually glow. I’ve never had such a desire to be outdoors! Ha.
After making a mental ‘favorites’ list on the Kohl’s website, I couldn’t wait to get to my local store and see the items in the flesh.
Unfortunately, but not shockingly, my local Kohl’s had an extremely limited selection of LC Runway items. Regardless, it was nice to see the items in person – I was very impressed with the quality of each one I tried on.
I hate that there’s a but. Lauren is my girl. BUT I promised that my reviews would be honest and uncolored.
First of all, the price point is a little wacko for Kohl’s. I understand that Lauren is a legitimate designer and this is an awesome collaboration, but at the end of the day, we’re still talking about Kohl’s. The store needs to pander to its demographic. Full disclosure: if I’m going to spend $230 on a backpack or $120 on a little jacket, it’s probably not going to be at Kohl’s.
Secondly, the sizing was bizarre. I had to keep grabbing larger and larger sizes of the faux-suede motorcycle jacket – the item I wanted to see most. I finally felt comfortable in the size 12 – WTF? But although the body fit in that size, the arms were much too loose. Ugh. Next, I tried the scuba skirt in a size bigger than my usual. Still too small! The bow sweater that I tried was a cute and normal fit, but I’d be reticent when ordering online. I’m so tempted to order some of the items that I couldn’t find in stores, but I’m not sure how far up to go in size.
Anyway, odd sizing aside, the collection is just as gorgeous in person as it is on the website – and that’s not something you run into often. Hopefully I can get to another (fully stocked) location and try on some of the other items I’m lusting after.
Speaking of lust, I’ve chosen my favorite items from the LC Runway Collection below:
- Faux-suede motorcycle jacket: I wish this had fit my body type better, because I’m obsessed. Girly and edgy – my two personalities in one item. The pale pink was amazing, but I’d love to see the deep green in person too!
- High Waist Soft Pants: I think I need these in my life. I’m not sure what I like best. That crepe? That blush tone? That sash? Ahhhh!
- Floral Scuba Skirt: This skirt is thick and flattering. The sweet, feminine style and print would pair perfectly with the edginess of the motorcycle jacket, in either color!
- Tiered Fringe Crop Top: Daisy Buchanan, is that you? Oh, no – it’s just me looking fierce and flappery in my [currently imaginary] fringe crop.
- Tulle Maxi Skirt: I’ve been hunting for the perfect tulle skirt for so long. Now someone invite me somewhere so I can buy this!
- Sequin Ombre Midi Skirt: Sequins + ombre + pink = a dream come true.
- Faux-Fur Collar Peacoat: Don’t ask me how it even got into my head, but I’ve been wanting a pastel winter coat for the past couple of years. Hello, beautiful.
- Lace-Up High Heels: These are the ideal mix of classy and sexy. They’re so versatile, yet they’re reminiscent of a fairy princess. The perfect tie-in to the rest of the collection!
You may think I just listed most of the collection, but I promise this is an extremely narrowed down list. The collection is BIG. So much to choose from…so few money trees in my backyard. 😉
Keep my sizing comments in mind, but don’t let that stop you from shopping!
Support my spirit animal Lauren Conrad and channel your inner woodland fashionista while you’re at it. Time for your very own fairy tale!
I’ve always love Lauren Conrads collections at Kohls! And I am loving her wooded fairytale palette this fall. But like you said, the pricing is overpriced for the retailer. I’ve always thought her collections belong in Macy’s or an equivalent retailer! XOXO
So true! Macy’s would be perfect. Thanks so much for reading! xo
I’m having the same trouble with the faux suede jacket. I got it shipped to me in Green and looooove the color and it’s perfect in the arms and shoulders for me in a 12 (I’m ususally an 8) but It’s way too narrow in the hips and won’t zip. The zipper lies too far too the left. I went to my local Kohl’s to exchange and sizing up to 14 and 16 the arms just got more oversized for my liking and still not generous in the hips. Considering wearing it open only but wish it could have worked out differently. Thanks for you honest review! Now I know it’s not only me.
I’m bummed that the sizing is so off, but I’m also glad it’s not just me! I had the same issue with the zipper being so far away as well. Did you decide to keep it or return?! Thanks so much for reading! xo